Marion A. Morawicz, Ltd.
Call for an Initial Consultation

The child with a Minor's Estate is about to turn 18 - now what?

When the minor becomes an adult at age 18, the Disabled Person's Estate will be closed.  One of two things will happen.  If that minor is capable of making personal and financial decisions as an adult, the Estate is closed and the balance of the money is given to the 18 year old.  If that minor is incapable of making personal and financial decisions on their own behalf, a new estate is opened - a Disabled Person's Estate.  A judge is again assigned to oversee the financial decisions, and to some extent, the personal decisions made on behalf of the disabled adult, such as, where they live.

The estates of children who have had a malpractice case can be quite large.  It is usually worrisome for a parent, as well the Judge who has been overseeing the Minor's Estate, to hand over large sums of money to an 18 year old.  I would have been very worried about turning over large sums of money of to my own children when they were 18, had the come into a lot of money at that age.  What I have done in these situations is introduce the minor and the parents to a financial advisor about 6 months before the 18th birthday.  We begin discussing the advantages to having a professional money manager on board.  Frankly, this is the same advice I give to my adult clients at the end of a case, when money is distributed following the resolution of a lawsuit.  With the guidance of the financial advisor and the parents, almost all of my minor clients have managed their money well and have continued to have a large financial portfolio to this day.

This post picks up from where Angelina's Story - Who gets the money when the client is a child? left off.  I will write additional posts about what happens after the case is over, because for you the client, the end of the case is just the beginning.  

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Office Location

Marion A. Morawicz, Ltd.
20 S. Clark Street
Suite 410
Chicago, IL 60603

Phone: 312-580-0650
Fax: 312-853-0821
Map & Directions
Chicago Office Location

The Chicago Bar Association

Chicago Bar Association badge

AMERICAN ASSOCIATION for JUSTICE | Formerly the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (ATLA) | MEMBER -2013

American Association For Justice

FAQ Medical Malpractice

Frequently Asked Questions about Medical Malpractice

Q: What is medical malpractice?

A: Medical malpractice is negligence committed by a professional health care provider, such as a doctor, nurse, dentist, technician, hospital worker or hospital, whose treatment of a patient departs from a standard of care met by those with similar training and experience, resulting in harm to a patient...

Member ISBA Illinois Trial Lawyers Association